Thursday, September 20, 2007

Me and Martha

My mom lent me her copy of Martha Stewart Living. I noticed a few differences between my baseline household maintenance and Martha's. Some examples:

Martha:
She celebrates the change of seasons by switching out lampshades and area rugs to create a warmer, more intimate feeling for the winter.
Me:
Once a year I consider cleaning the dead bugs out of the halogen lamp in the living room. I've never actually done it.

Martha:
She layers her picking baskets with dishtowels to prevent the tomatoes from bruising.
Me:
I use the front of my shirt as a bowl and hope: (1) my bra doesn't show and (2) the stains will come out, since I don't have time to separate the whites from the colors.

Martha:
She rotates her cookies in the oven so they brown evenly.
Me:
We like burned cookies at my house. We're used to them.

1 comment:

734elizabeths said...

I went on a Martha hiatus when she advocated painting your shower curtains clips with nail polish to match your bathroom decor.

But having read the same issue you are discussing here, I wonder: what happened to the fruit leather recipe?